Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Zucchini Southwest Pie

I found this recipe last year on Happyherbivore.com.  It has tofu in it and I have never been a fan of tofu.  I think part of that is a brain thing.  I have to get it past my brain before I eat it.  Tofu has no real taste but takes on the flavor of what you are putting it in.  But it is zucchini season and this recipe uses zucchini. 
Picture of Southwest Zucchini Pie

SOUTHWEST ZUCCHINI PIE
2 cups zucchini, diced
1 cup corn, frozen
1 whole onion, diced
3 whole garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp non-dairy milk
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup non-dairy milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9x9" pan and set aside. Sauté onions in a 1/3 cup water over high heat. After 2 minutes, add garlic. After 2 more minutes, add spices and chilies. Stir to coat and cook until water has evaporated and set aside. Whisk non-dairy milk and cornstarch together and set aside. Blend tofu with 1 tbsp non-dairy milk until smooth. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine evenly. Transfer mixture to pan, spreading it evenly. Top with vegan cheddar cheese if desired and bake 20-30 minutes or until center is cooked and the top is crisp.

I used the 10 oz. box and it worked great.  I didn't use the green chilies or the chipotle powder.  I used green peppers and added a little cayenne pepper.  I also didn't add the cheese on top.  But it was still good. I also added about 2 3/4 c. zucchini.  Never have too much zucchini right?  My husband even commented on how good it was.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment